Saturday, November 25, 2006

Lagged of jet

I'm back from NYC and struggling with the dreaded jetlag. I'm going to bed late, really late, like 3.30 am late, not sleeping and then struggling out of bed at lunch-time. Oh dear!

But I had a wonderful time, so different from my London life where I live in jeans and spend most of my time in front of the computer. I went to lots of fashionable restaurants, an Edie Sedgwick book launch (I was obsessed with Edie Sedgwick when I was but a mere slip of a girl) at the swank Gramercy Park Hotel, a shop opening and tried to find the perfect vintage leopardskin coat at the Chelsea Flea Market, Fake leopardskin, I should add.

But mostly I shopped. I shopped and shopped until I could shop no more. I went slightly crazy in Anthropologie at their clearance rails, cleaned Old Navy out of pyjama bottoms and woolly socks and I don't even want to talk about what happened at Marc Jacobs. Though I managed not to buy a very expensive dress. I felt so financially and morally bankrupt that I had to have long walks in Central Park (I was staying at very posh hotel over-looking all the autumn foliage) to cleanse my soul of all the rampant consumerism.

I did also find time to go to Barnes & Noble on Union Square and sign a stack of copies of Let's Get Lost so if you still haven't got a copy and you're in the Manhattan area, that's the place to go.

Now I'm back in London, I should be working hard but actually I seem to be spending most of my time bidding on vintage cake tins on eBay and worrying that I've been contaminated by noxious poison like that Russian spy dude who's just died. Apparently, he lived just down the road from me and I do think I have a bit of a sore throat.

I've started to get the inevitable "will there be a sequel?" questions about Let's Get Lost. You know, in some ways I would love to. Against my better judgement, I re-read the book this week (it's a very painful read for me) to get myself back in the Manning head-space. I did find myself getting all over-excited about Isabel and Smith again but really, it's a complete work. There was the big mystery and the emotional conflict, but it was all resolved! So I don't really think that either of them have a story left to tell, much as I enjoyed writing about them. I'm pretty hardcore about my "no sequels" rules even if my editor (Hi Emily) would love to pin me down and force me to write a Guitar Girl 2, which would certainly not be suitable for teen readers.

But I am all about giving. I really am! And I haven't done a competition for a while. So, it's that time of year when I like to make a little mix CD of my favourite tracks of the year to send out with my Crimbo cards. And two of you could win a copy! All you have to do is write a Christmas message to one of the characters from any one of my books. It can be funny, heartfelt, heck, it could even be in rhyme! And I give top marks for the super-creative! Just leave your message in a comment with your email address and I'll announce the winners really soon.

Love

Sarra x

(Cross-posted to http://blog.myspace.com/sarramanning)

11 comments:

Dennis said...

And how is my favorite author this lovely Sunday morning? Even simply reading though your blog entrys are engadging.

Ugh. I must clean the messy room of doom. Have a delightful day, Sarra.

onewton08 said...

hello sarra im absolutely in love with all of your books and can't wait for another! i was very wierded out when reading diary of a crush: book 3 on my road trip to Bossier city, Louisiana. Im moving there and couldn't help but bust out into laughter when Edie wrote "I'm writing this from a place called Bossier City. That's a funny place-name, isn't it? Or have i been stuck in a car for too long?" that made my whole day better. well, thank you for for inspiring me to take a road trip...but im going to britain with my love...Olivia 16, currentely in Sourlake, Texas USA.

Dennis said...

I realized that I appear as "Dennis" on my comments. My name's Katie. My google account is disfuntional...I guess I'll be using Dennis' until I can fix it.

Katie said...

I'm so glad you had a good time in new york! I was just recently there myself and did quite a bit of shopping as well. =)

Well, better get back to my novel i was supposed to be working on. Have a great day, hope your jet lag will be cured soon!
-Kate

Katie said...

I'm glad you had a good time in New York! I was just there myself and did quite a bit of shopping as well. =)

Well, I have to get back to my novel i was supposed to be working on. Have a great day and I hope your jetlag is cured soon!
-Autumn

Puca said...

Living under a rock is no fun! Ive only just discovered your blog..so i feel a bit like double A batteries for a new electric gadget...not with it. Anyway, Sarra- you can flip my burgers anytime, you neat pickle, you!!!!I've begun the "Manning Fans" cult in my agnostic field of friends down here in Australia ...we have two members but oh how these members are dedicated to your books. Heylo!

Puca said...

Living under a rock is no fun! Ive only just discovered your blog..so i feel a bit like double A batteries for any newly bought electric toy...not with it. Anyway, Sarra- you can flip my burgers anytime, you neat pickle, you!!!!I've begun the "Manning Fans" cult in my agnostic field of friends down here in Australia ...we have two members but oh how these members are dedicated to your books. Heylo!

Puca said...

Holy smoke!!! The Shins was your inspiration!!!! I heart The Shins!!!!Gee Sarra, its like you WANT to be my fav author :P

Dannie said...

Sarra, I have recently finnished Let's Get Lost and I couldn't stop crying! You have become, since the summer, one of my favourite authors, you rock!
Keep on writing, I'm waiting patiently for more oh and by the way, I live in Southend and was bouncing around when you mentioned Bailey's Chip Shop in Pretty Things!

Gaby said...

i think Guitar Girl is amazing, i read it in two days. I was shocked to know there wasnt a sequel. it really made me said, i really wanted to know more about Molly. i really hope you change your mind and write guitar girl 2.

Gaby said...

I read Guitar Girl in two days, its amazing. I was really upset to read that you werent interested in writing a sequel. I really thought there would be a second book.Please consider it.